Wednesday, 4 March 2009

Prime Ape Got the Blues - It's Not Easy Being A Digital Being

First time I ever got anything in the mail, so I thought I would share.


I always thought Sweden was famous for its pop music (think ABBA and The Cardigans) and heavy metal. I didn't know the Swedish hip-hop scene was pretty vibrant too. When Oscar Lundin of Gourmé! Records dropped me an email, telling me about his group Prime Ape Got the Blues, that's when I realised -- hey, there's a lot more good stuff coming out of Sweden after all.

Anyway, Prime Ape Got the Blues is a hip-hop/IDM duo from Gothenburg, Sweden consisting of vocalist/rapper Shuriken (Fredrik Brufors) and producer Nois etc (Oscar Lundin). Their debut LP, It's Not Easy Being A Digital Being, was released last year on independent label Gourmé! Records. A once-over of the songs on their website reveals a refreshingly different side of hip-hop, unlike much of the processed stuff we hear on radio today. Like Oscar says, "if you appreciate fuzzy aggressive bass lines, anti-gangsta lyrics and humour blacker then the darkest night", then do yourself a favour and check these guys out.

Download:
Prime Ape Got the Blues - Baggage
Prime Ape Got the Blues - Monkeyboy Wit A Chain 'Round His Wrist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...