Sunday, 8 March 2009

SXSW 2009: Music Festival, Part 1

To those who are attending SXSW '09: Oh, you lucky bastards.

I will never get see such a large-scale music event being held in Singapore, not in my lifetime anyway. Unless our local music scene evolves at a crazy speed, and the government decides to spend tonnes of money bringing in talented musicians from overseas and we reclaim more land and convert our void decks, rooftops and public parks into spanking new music venues...

...otherwise I should just save up to visit Austin, Texas.

But I digress.

So I checked out the SXSW Music Festival Schedule to see who's playing at the event, and I came up with a selection of artists that I've either heard of before or am keen to see them play live (I've only selected those with MP3s for sampling). Here it is, my list for Day 1 (March 18):


Fol Chen

If cool, catchy indie electro-pop is what you're looking for, Fol Chen has the answer. The Californian band doles out infectious electro-pop on "Cable TV", the lead single off their debut album. Dig the handclaps on this number.

Download:
Fol Chen - Cable TV




Jay Jay Pistolet

Jay Jay Pistolet aka Justin James Hayward-Young is a talented young man of 21, plays folk music, and is good chums with Mercury Prize-nominated songwriter Laura Marling and Noah and the Whale. Need I say more?

Download:
Jay Jay Pistolet - Happy Birthday You



Ladyhawke

Phillipa "Pip" Brown, otherwise better known as Ladyhawke, draws influences from 80s synth pop. She makes music that I would roughly categorize as new wave/old school electro pop. "My Delirium", for instance, is a rocking tune which wouldn't seem out of place on the dance floor. It's so hip, it hurts.

Download:
Ladyhawke - My Delirium


Angie Mattson

I remember being blown away by the sensual voice of Angie Mattson when I first read about her on Womenfolk (excellent music blog, by the way), and I went on to devour her EP, Monarch. Good for her now that she has own LP and is playing at SXSW. It helps that she's easy on the eyes too.

Download:
Angie Mattson - In Violet


Other acts to watch:
Rod Thomas - Same Old Lines
School of Seven Bells - Half Asleep
Natalie Portman's Shaved Head - Slow Motion Tag Team
Aqualung - On My Kees
Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs - Gettin' High for Jesus
The Von Bondies - This Is Our Perfect Crime
Haley Bonar - Big Star [All MP3s Removed]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...